HOW EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT KILLS FRESH GRADUATES DREAMS.

The other day, I went to one of the restaurants in Mogadishu to have a cup of tea after along work day at the office and I was enjoying my cappuccino latte; A youngman approached and asked if he could have the spared seats as the place was quite fully occupied then I said its fine and you can have a seat; there he sat as mins passed by we kind of starting talking this is how our encounter went on: - 
I am Hassan he said, then I told him back my name and we exchanged some words but the interesting part was like.
Hassan: There is so much problem in this town.
I: That is normal and part of life, what is it that is especially bothering you?
Hassan: I am a graduate from one of the universities in Mogadishu and did B.A.
I: That is great and you lucky to have finished it.
Hassan: Yes, but I don’t see value in that because after two years of being graduate, I have nothing to show for it. No job and no business.
I: Have tried applying jobs in town.
Hassan: Laughing loud; I tried 19 times and I got no feedback but only short listed for 4 times and rejected.
I: What do you think could be the reason despite luck?
Hassan: In some of the feedbacks, I got they said that I don’t have experience.
I: That is true, experience is a great value in the current era of job seeking.
Hassan: I agree but how can likes of me get experience if not given the chance.
I: Did you try internship or working voluntarily to gain experience.
Hassan: I would have loved to so but I didn’t get the chance and have seen any private sector or CBOs taking internship.
I: Don’t worry keep on trying and thinks will work it out.
Hassan: I am trying but my family is putting me more pressure and saying to every now and then, we have paid your studies, educated you and yet don’t work.
I was frankly moved by Hassan story and its very painful when the few institutions, private sector and the wider CBOs are pre-conditioning the need for experienced staff and I do respect it too but then the big question is how can we absorb all the new graduates from our universities if we are not considerate and not giving some internship opportunities to allow the new graduates get some level of experience so the likes of Hassan meets the required experience.
In addition to that is the family pressure, most of our parents seem to not understand how challenging it is for the Hassans who end up graduating university and having his family pressure in which they expect to get a jog right after graduation.
It had been awakening moment for me and I would urge to give guidance and consultations on career planning for the graduates, if you as a reader is better positioned and can give some internships, please do so because by taking one or two persons and giving the internship opportunity may seem less but may have an imaginable impact on some ones’ life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MSF WITHDRAWAL FROM #LAS-ANOOD & IMMEDIATE SOLUTION THROUGH LOCALIZATION LENCSES

BLACK DAY - 14 Oct,2017